Princess’ Beauty Corner: A “royal” take on health and beauty
Homemade recipes for spa treatment
Booking an appointment at the spa might be out of the question when you’re a financially struggling college student. Many of us might purchase skin care products to achieve spa-like results. However, many of those skin care products cost a fortune and contain harsh chemicals and preservatives that can irritate our skin.
Homemade beauty recipes are great because they’re natural, inexpensive and most of the ingredients are already inside your kitchen pantry. Here are some of my favorite beauty secrets:
Lip Exfoliating Scrub
What you’ll need:
• 1 teaspoon of honey • 1 teaspoon of brown sugar • 1 teaspoon of olive oil • A few drops of lemon juiceDirections:
1) Combine honey, brown sugar, olive oil and lemon juice together in a small bowl. 2) Gently rub the mixture onto your lips in a circular motion for a minute or two. 3) Remove the mixture using a warm, damp washcloth. 4) Apply lip balm.Note: Exfoliate your lips one or two times a week to remove dead skin cells. This will prevent dry, chapped lips. You’ll also notice your favorite lipstick or lip gloss will glide on much smoother.
Yogurt Face Mask
What you’ll need:
• 1 tablespoons of natural yogurt (avoid low-fat or nonfat) • 1 tablespoon of honey (extra tablespoon for dry skin) • A few drops of fresh lime juice (for oily skin)Directions:
1) Pull your hair back into a ponytail (this could get a little messy). 2) Wash your face. 3) Heat honey in the microwave for about 45 seconds. 4) Combine natural yogurt, honey and lemon juice together in a small bowl. 5) Rub the mixture onto your face avoiding the eye area (extremely sensitive). 6) Allow the mixture to sit on your face for 15 minutes (leave the face mask on for the recommended period of time and not a minute longer). 7) Use warm water to rinse your face off. 8) Splash cold water onto your face to close pores. 9) Pat your face dry with a clean towel. 10) Apply moisturizer.Note: Apply this face mask once a week. Yogurt adds a healthy glow to your skin, reduces redness, fights acne and prevents premature aging.
What you’ll need: • 1 ripe strawberry • ½ tsp. of baking soda • Toothpaste
1) Thoroughly rinse off strawberry with water and remove the stem. 2) Use a fork to mash the strawberry in a small bowl. 3) Add baking soda. 4) Apply the mixture onto your teeth using a toothbrush 5) Allow the mixture to sit on your teeth for about five minutes. 6) Remove the mixture using a toothbrush. 7) Use your favorite toothpaste to brush your teeth.Note: Use this recipe once a week. Fruit is very acidic and can damage your tooth enamel. As a result, I’d recommend brushing your teeth with Sensodyne ProNamel toothpaste.
Body Exfoliating Scrub
What you’ll need:
• Olive oil • Salt (might irritate sensitive skin) • MoisturizerDirections:
1) Rub a generous amount of olive oil onto your skin. 2) Pour a generous amount of salt onto your skin and gently scrub. 3) Leave salt on your skin for 10 minutes (or 20 minutes if you have extra time). 4) Wash off the mixture with lukewarm water. 5) Rub a generous amount of moisturizer onto your skin.Note: Exfoliate your skin once a week. Avoid exfoliating your skin if you have sunburn or open wounds.
Warning: Make sure you’re not allergic to any of the ingredients mentioned. Stop using if a reaction occurs.
Be sure to stay tuned for essential products every woman should use before applying makeup.